The Freakin' Huge House Adventure Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The newbie guide to TFHHA.

5 posters

Go down

The newbie guide to TFHHA. Empty The newbie guide to TFHHA.

Post  ChaosCrunchy Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Okay ppl. There are ppl out there that are actually scared and confused about the story, yet strangely attracted to it (I also have that effect on women! J/K). So those ppl want to join in, but they don't really know how, or are unsure of their own abilities! Well let the gang here give you their advice on what it takes to be a part of TFHHA, it's quite easy actually!

So first are some very Basic guide lines. If you follow these you'll be a part of the story. These are also the guidelines I use to determine what goes into the page by page summary of the story. So you'll at least be in the story acording to my book =D!

1. Stay RELEVANT to the story at hand. It's okay to have an introuction for your character, just make it clear where he/she is and what he/she is doing to further the story. Do NOT just make a pic of your character saying hello or sup or anything to that extent. Also don't just put a pic of your character along with his/her "stats". You'll have time to show what abilities your character has as the story progresses! Also since you'd be new to the story, it's best to just stay with the story at hand until ppl recognise your character as an "important" part of the story. I know all characters are important, but when you get down to brass tacks, some just stand out more than others.

2. Make sure some effort is visible! But if you honestly don't know if you are good enough compare your art to this example pic.
The newbie guide to TFHHA. Untitled
That is an example of what not to draw. If you know your art is better than this, you should be okay. If not or you find that this pic looks like your stuff then you need to work on improving.
The newbie guide to TFHHA. Mellieandchrisseh
This is an example of some "acceptable" drawings. If your characters look like the one on the left, then you may or may not catch some flak. It depends on how detailed you are. And if your stuff looks more like the character on the right, then don't worry you're pretty good! Both the examples were done in MSpaint and with a mouse so quit betching about how you can't draw with fancy hardware and software.

3. Avoid anything too extreme. Killing off a major bad guy and/or character will usually result in it being ignored. Permanent damage like lopping off limbs of another characters will likely be ignored or immediately undone. Also huge changes in plot should be avoided, what you want are just small changes that progress the story so you show that you're a part of the story. Save big changes for when you become popular! (like me!....and I guess the other main characters.) But even when ppl expect you to post something, avoid huge changes.

4. Post more than just one submission. Especialy if your character is new to the story, you need to keep it alive by posting at a reasonable rate. Even if you are only able to post just one picture per page, that's better than just leaving it at one and waiting for someone else to pick your character up. But don't post too much or else ppl may call you a spammer. Besides good art takes time, so no one should be posting too much anyways. You should at least wait for someone else to post a picture before posting another one, or if you know nothing has happend for a while after you've posted then you could get away with another one. You can most certainly get away with double posting but dont make a habit of it.

That's it for me right now. I might think of something else later but I think I hit just about all the basics. If anyone has any tips or advice, please post them here! That's what this place is for. If you are new and you have questions, ask them! Ill probably post more on advanced tips and a guide to becoming a "Main character." THESE ARE JUST GUIDE LINES AND NOT RULES! You can deny all of this advice and there is a chance you'll be accepted, albeit the chances are slim.
ChaosCrunchy
ChaosCrunchy
TFHHA Member
TFHHA Member

Male Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Character Profile
Nickname: Chaos
Race: Human
Class: Warrior

Back to top Go down

The newbie guide to TFHHA. Empty Re: The newbie guide to TFHHA.

Post  Chrisseh-chan Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:57 am

Nice guide! This could help a lot of people out. =3
Chrisseh-chan
Chrisseh-chan
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 260

Character Profile
Nickname:
Race:
Class:

http://www.geocities.com/chrisseh_chan

Back to top Go down

Post  Akadra Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:56 pm

1. Stay relevant to the story.

Stay relevant to WHAT story? I mean, it's pretty random, and it's pretty hard for me and a whole bunch of other people to focus on 100+ pages of pictures who matter to the story, and pictures who don't.
Akadra
Akadra
N00b
N00b

Male Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaosCrunchy Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 pm

oh yeah! I guess I should explain that one a bit more. I don't expect anyone to actually fully understand the story. But what I mean by relevant is that You shouldn't suddenly move to a new place, it should be a bit more gradual. That it would avoid confusion.

Example: The first post has some of the characters (don't matter who) in the house.
The second post then suddenly takes those same characters to the city
Then the third post brings them back to the house cuz he's confused due to the suddenly change.

You get the idea?
Basicly, it goes back to making big changes. A change in destination is another change I REALLY should have mentioned! So thanks for bringing that up! I hope that helps ya some!
ChaosCrunchy
ChaosCrunchy
TFHHA Member
TFHHA Member

Male Number of posts : 300

Character Profile
Nickname: Chaos
Race: Human
Class: Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellie-Master Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:32 am

Akadra wrote:Stay relevant to WHAT story?

keep this in mind:
if somethings going on, approved by an official member of TFHHA, continue with that.
Mellie-Master
Mellie-Master
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 275

Character Profile
Nickname: Mellie-Master
Race: Undead
Class: Assassin

http://Melliemaster.hostsnake.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rageblood Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:17 pm

Well, don't be discouraged if your drawings look like shit. With enough practice, your drawings will turn from this
The newbie guide to TFHHA. Ngbbs471105835aa23,

to this

The newbie guide to TFHHA. Ngbbs48c1d851a34f8.

Rageblood
N00b
N00b

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellie-Master Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:08 am

good to see you've improved.
stay relevant to the story, don't introduce random characters that don't add to the story, and don't kill of exsisting characters for no appearent reason, and You'll be more then welcom to return.
Mellie-Master
Mellie-Master
Admin
Admin

Character Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellie-Master Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:41 am

OH GODDAMNIT
I just wrote the best newbie guide EVER and when it were finished my internet got aids 20 minutes the drain
AH FUCK THIS!

WE HATE NEWBIES, STICK WITH IT!
Mellie-Master
Mellie-Master
Admin
Admin

Character Profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down